Scientific research on coconut oil has revealed health benefits that affect your entire body, inside and out. You’ve heard good things about it and now you have a tub of it sitting in your pantry. So how do you use coconut oil?
This post lists 50 different ways to use coconut oil and it also links out to a bunch of DIY coconut oil recipes to help you try the different uses. I hope you find it valuable.
Cooking and Eating
16) Cheekbone Highlighter – Apply a small amount on cheekbones over makeup.
17) Shaving Lotion – Close shave and a moisturizer at the same time.
18) Facial Scrub – Combine coconut oil with Himalayan crystal salt and apply to face each night. Washing it off is optional.
19) Body Scrub – Combine coconut oil and sugar. Check out this DIY Sugar Scrub recipe.
20) Makeup Remover – Healthier, stronger and longer eye lashes are just a bonus!
21) Homemade Deodorant – You only need a few ingredients in addition to coconut oil to make this simple deodorant recipe.
22) Homemade Lip Balm or Lip Gloss – Apply directly or create a flavored version with this simple lip balm recipe.
23) Diaper Rash Cream – Apply regularly to the baby’s bottom to improve skin health.
24) Sexual Lubricant – Our Facebook fans swear by this one 🙂
25) Stretch Mark Preventer During Pregnancy – This safe, healthy oil can be applied multiple times each day to help moisturize your stretching skin.
26) Nipple Cream During Breastfeeding – Coconut oil is a popular choice for nursing mothers because it is a natural safe product.
27) Massage Oil – Coconut oil is the perfect choice for a massage oil. Not too greasy and with a relaxing scent.
28) Body Moisturizer – Apply directly after showering.
29) Fade Age Spots – Rub on hands or other areas daily.
30) Sunburn Care – A great moisturizer to use after you’ve gotten a bit too much sun.
31) Facial Moisturizer – After you wash your face, massage a light layer on your skin.
32) Mix in Bath Water – Melt about 1/4 cup in the microwave and add it to your bath water and soak.
33) Tanning Oil – Put in a spray bottle and bring to beach. Spray on to keep skin moisturized.
34) Dry Feet Treatment – Mix with salt to form a foot scrub.
35) Elbow Rub – Helps manage the dry skin on your elbows.
36) Leave-in Overnight Conditioner – Looking for a deep conditioning hair treatment? Rub a small amount of oil into hair (mostly at ends), comb through and put hair in a loose bun before bed, and wash out in the morning.
37) Hair Flyaway Tamer – Use very sparingly on ends or areas with flyaways.
38) Defrizzer of Split Ends – Just put a tiny amount on your hands and run them through the frizzy areas.
39) Static Reducer – Rub your hands together with a little bit of coconut oil on them and run them through your static-y hair.
Other Healthy Uses for Coconut Oil
40) Homemade Toothpaste – Combine equal parts coconut oil and baking soda. Sweeten with stevia and flavor with your favorite essential oil.
41) Aromatherapy – Whether you like coconut or not, the soothing aroma of coconut oil is pleasing to us all and can help us wind down after a long, stressful day. Read The Beginner’s Guide to Aromatherapy.
42) Wound Care – Although you may not be ready to give up your Neosporin, coconut oil can even be used as a topical protector for wounds, shielding them with a thin chemical layer from outside contaminants. You can apply a small amount of coconut oil to small scrapes and cuts.
43) Metabolism Booster – 2 tablespoons per day are proven to rev up your metabolism.
44) Thyroid Supporter – Regular coconut oil consumption has been shown to support healthy thyroid function.
45) Energizer – 1 teaspoon can give you a burst of energy instead of turning towards a caffeinated energy drink.
46) Oil Pulling – Swish coconut oil around in your mouth for 10 minutes before brushing.
Using Coconut Oil Around The House
47) Season a Cast Iron Pan – Here is a nice explanation of how to season a cast iron pan with coconut oil.
48) Use it as a lubricant on small motors/electronics – One Facebook fan uses it to keep his juicer’s motor in top working condition.
Coconut Oil for Animals
50) Put It On Your Cat’s Paw – Put half a teaspoon on your kitty’s paw to keep a shiny coat and cut down on hairballs.
– Anthony N. for Swanson Health Products